[ale] Dead process question

Ben Conrad bconrad at bbn.com
Fri Dec 3 15:00:50 EST 1999

Folks,

I spent a bit of time trying to unmount a smbmount that kept reporting I/O
errors.  Being stubborn I did not want to reboot the machine just to clear
that up.  Every time I tried to umount -f /mnt/jukebox or smbumount
/mnt/jukebox I got an error.

So I looked around for some old processes that were not in use anymore.
These processes existed because of my NT PC crashing and the ssh connection
getting closed.  I killed a bunch of processes owned by my username and root
that were too old to be still in use.  After that I could umount
/mnt/jukebox.

My question is this:  How can I determine if a user has been disconnected
but still has processes running that may affect other processes like umount?

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben Conrad
NT Administrator, NOS Team