[ale] Linux as a router

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Mon Aug 30 23:56:58 EDT 1999

Michael B Golden <naugrim at juno.com> writes:

> 	I finally have the permission to set up a full time linux-only
> box in our house. Now, so as not to look like a complete fool when I try
> to do it, I am coming here first. I need to set up a 486DX2/66 as a
> router for about 3 computers on a network to be connected to the
> internet. (Probably 1 Linux, 2 Win9x). I want it to be fast but fully
> featured. Some of the features that I need to have are: basic routing,
> possible small firewall, caching web pages for viewing both offline and
> for quicker access when online, and the ability to use all normal
> internet protocols with it. (http, ftp, telnet, etc.)
> And if possible, I would like to be able to run apache and ftpd from the
> linux box inside the network.

Sounds like a fun project.  I run a similar setup, though less
featurefull, on my 486-33 laptop.

> Now, my questions are:
> 1. I assume for the routing part that I will have to use IP Masquerading.
> What HOWTO's and web pages would a newbie to networking look to?

The IP-Masquerade mini-howto is a good starting point.

> 2. What program would be used for caching?

I use squid (comes with redhat, don't know about other distribs).
There is a cache controller program whose name I forget.  I don't use
it, but it looks handy.

> 3. Are there any newbie tutorials for firewalls? (The Firewall HOWTO is
> over my head)

Check back issues of the Linux Journal, and maybe the Linux Gazette,
too.  They have had several essays on it.  I find that if I just
follow the directions of the HOWTO, even if I don't understand them,
they work well.

> 4. It needs to be space efficient, stable, and fast. I am probably going
> to stick Slackware on because of these requirements. Is there a better
> distribution to use for this purpose?

I wouldn't advise slackware unless you know what you are doing.  I use
redhat on mine and it is plenty fast.  I find RH easier to maintain.

> 5. What security do I need to worry about?

A lot depends on how much you will be connected.  Be sure to turn off
any service you aren't using and keep yourself up to date with the
security bulletins.

> 6. Anything that must be set up at the clients in the network?

You'll need to configure all the browsers to use your router as a proxy.

> 7. Anything else you may wish to add to make this easier, more
> pleasurable, etc.

Assuming you are using dialup, run a caching nameserver on the router
to minimize traffic and latency when surfing.  I find it makes a real
difference.

Have fun,

--
Michael