[ale] Time to System Bios

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Sun Aug 29 23:12:03 EDT 1999

I tend to use a two step item: 1)rdate 2)setclock in a cron job. The
setclock may be RedHat specific, or it may not. I haven't played with the
other distro's in a long time.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Bob Kruger wrote:

> One of the few things that I like about DOS was with the "time" and "date"
> utilities and their ability to actually alter the time in the ROM bios from
> the command line.
>
> I know that I can use date, ntpdate, rdate, etc to change the system clock.
>  I have not found a way yet to change the date stored in the ROM bios.  Is
> there a way to do this from Linux?
>
> My goal is to have a self sustaining timekeeper on the network that, even
> in the event of a long power loss, can start back up being relatively close
> on time.  The system serving as the LAN time keeper uses a modem a couple
> of times a day to dial out, synchronize with a tier 2 timeserver on the
> 'net, and is then available for other systems to adjust from.  Being
> accurate to the second is not important, but as all PC clocks have a
> tendency to drift, being able to save the current setting to the ROM bios
> so that a restart will not result in a time server that is hours off would
> be most helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Regarfds - Bob

Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
tfreeman at vnet.net          Karma Shave