[ale] Re: [svlug] EVENT: Burn All GIFs Day.

Reginald B. Charney charney at CharneyDay.com
Sat Aug 28 21:41:58 EDT 1999

Can we not do something more direct? I am thinking of placing a filter
plugin for Netscape and IE on my machine that does 2 things:

1) it replaces any GIF image by a black or empty box and
2) automatically replies to the web page site sending the GIF that GIF
are not supported/acceptable - please replace with PNG or JPEG (JPG)
images.

Also, is there a simple unix-like filter to convert from GIF to PNG or
JPEG formats that web sites can use to convert everything they now have
to an open format. For example:

gif2png < x.gif > x.png
gif2jpg < x.gif > x.jpg

Note that the reply to web site might refer to where this filter can be
downloaded.

Reg.