[ale] Minor challenges seeking answers

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 3 14:51:13 EDT 1999

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Thompson Freeman wrote:

> Problem two: I should run backups on the children's Mac system, and the
> only tape I have is on the Linux box. Is there an open source (or really
> cheap) backup solution for backing up Mac systems on tape hosted by intel
> linux?

The only backup solution for Mac that I know of (Retrospect) is expensive as
all get out.  I think you'll have to decide what directories you want backed
up on the Mac, use Stuff-It to make a binhexed archive, then ftp (Fetch) it
over to the linux box for backing up.  Slow, yes.  Mac scripting would
probably speed things up, yes.

                      __   _                 "If pro is opposite of con,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    then what is the opposite of
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   progress?  Congress!"
                     \__.-._)         '''     -- men's restroom, House of
		                              Representatives, Washington