[ale] netscape

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 3 11:51:35 EDT 1999

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Martin Nichols wrote:

>     Hi, I have my ppp connection working properly but i cannot get
> netscape to see that Iam connected to the net. I am currently using Red
> Hat 6.0 and communicator 4.51.
> any suggestions?
<snip>
	My suspicion is that you're nameserver access isn't set up
correctly. Once you've connected up via PPP, do an "/sbin/ifconfig", then
"ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is the IP address of the
gateway specified in /sbin/ifconfig. If packets come back, you're
nameserver isn't being properly specified. What are you using to connect
via PPP? (gnome-ppp, kppp, pppd, dip, etc.)

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline