[ale] 100BT Ethernet Card

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Aug 2 08:59:03 EDT 1999

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> I *USED* to think the same thing.  The first 310TX cards I bought had
> a 'Digital' branded chip on them.  Later ones I've purchased have a
> 'Netgear' chip on them.   I have had problems with these later cards -
> things like trying to put 2 of them in the same machine, or having it
> just not work in my system.  But then again maybe I was just unlucky
> and got a dud.

You're not the only one.  The real Tulip-based Netgears were really good.
The later PNIC-based ones haven't been so good in my experience.  I've had
several of them do things like lock up under heavy load.  If you're around
and can ifconfig them down and then up, they'll start working again, but
obviously that's not a good think to have to do as a matter of course.

Of course, that's still better than my experience with 3com's 905b, which
most people like; go figure.

later,
chris

--