[ale] Linux figures

UnderGrid Founder undrgrid at undergrid.net
Sun Apr 18 20:33:17 EDT 1999

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

Michael B Golden decided to waste my bandwidth saying:
> 	My dad argues that linux is not wide spread, and I agree that
> relative to Windows, it isn't. But I also think he is underestimating its
> numbers. Here is what I would like to be able to present to him, so I
> need numbers, URLs, whatever:
>=20
> A) How many Linux users have registered as guaranteed users?
> B) What are the estimated figures of linux users?
	There is a Linux counter page that allows Linux users to "be counted"
but I can't for the life of me remember the URL off hand... I know I went a=
nd
register'd awhile back and I was given the number 113424 whether that is in
sequence I can't remember you'd have to check the site... I'll keep lookin
for the URL and post if when I find it... or if someone else can think of i=
t...

> C) What well-known companies currently use linux for part or all of their
> business?
> D) What well-known companies have investments in linux, or support it in
> some other way?
	Cisco uses Linux for all it's print server needs internationally...=20
That's about as "well-known" as I can think of... then you can take into ac=
ct
that Oracle now supports the Linux platform with version 8.0.5. Netscape has
embraced the Linux software model... IBM has been supporting Linux limitedl=
y=20
(by that I mean some developers have encountered hurdles when getting help).
If you check several of the Linux portal web sites you will find link to ne=
ws
articles about some company investing in RedHat, although some may not see =
it
as investing in Linux it still counts as the RH distro is still based on the
Linux kernel...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

--=20
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---,
| Jeremy T. Bouse  -  UnderGrid Network Services, LLC  -   www.UnderGrid.ne=
t  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9  =
   |
|   Public PGP key available via email at pgp-public-keys at pgp.UnderGrid.net=
   |
| Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net  -  NIC Whois: JB5713  -  undrgrid at UnderGrid.n=
et |
|      promotion, n.: New title, new salary, new office, same old crap.    =

---'

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--