[ale] AGP video cards

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Apr 17 00:53:28 EDT 1999

cfowler at avana.net wrote:

> What is the difference between and AGP and PCI video card?

AGP Advanced Graphics Port, I think, is a new slot that is specifically
designed for graphics cards, but you have to have an AGP card to use in
an AGP slot.  PCI video cards fit into any PCI slot.  AGP is the 'new'
video slot on motherboards.  You might run into some unsupported cards
if you go with AGP.  Last time I looked, Xfree supported some AGP, but
not as many as they do on PCI.

> I've been looking for a sub $500 Linux workstation and most use
> AGP cards.  ?Has anyone found a sub $500 workstation that has
> 1024x768 24bit.  good sound and decent HDD space and ram?  I
> found one that had almost all but the monitor but I need at least
> 1024x768 16million colors.

Can't help you here..

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl