[ale] VMware and RH5.2

cfowler at avana.net cfowler at avana.net
Wed Apr 14 17:48:15 EDT 1999

I wish you could use the directory off of ext2fs on 98 in vmware
but that would require some sort of emulation in vmware.  I've
allways thought the best emulation one could do was to try and
emulate the chip itself and not the os.

VirtualPC for MacOS is a good example of this.  SoftWindows and
WABI emulate the OS and they never can totally work right.  There
must be a way to run 2 x86 based OS's on the same machine at
the same time.  You need a manager running to manager all hardware
usage of both OS's to keep from problems showing up.

Could you not run win98 on a x4 400 machine even though win98
on supports one chip.  vmware can run on a SMP system therfore
being invisible to the guest OS and giving 98 alot of cpu power?

Chris