[ale] Viper550 or Banshee?

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Tue Apr 6 18:03:56 EDT 1999

as far as the Win/x environment, stick with the creative drivers... much better throughput on acc tests and much more stable!  :)  Diamond bought their drivers from kmart....

Anyone here having any problems with the ascii version of Xsetup? (Xconfigurator) I have upgraded all the Xfree files (to my knowledge) and the SVGA server so that I can run my Velocity 4400...And Xfree and the SVGA server work like a champ! I'm at 1280x1024x32 and it looks SHARP!  But I have to use the GUI XF86Setup.  when I run the ascii version, it locks up and give me all kinds of core dump errors..

<<< "Jim Popovitch" <jimpop at rocketship.com>  4/ 6  5:22p >>>
I have a Diamond Viper 550 and a Creative Labs VooDoo2 Banshee.  Both cards
are excellent, and both work well under X, Win98 & WinNT.  Make sure, which
ever one you get, that you go to the Diamond or Creative web page and get
the latest drivers!

The Diamond Viper 550 was easiest to install all the way around.  (on RedHat
5.2 X Windows I just used the Diamond Riva128 settings).  The
VooDoo2-Banshee needs a custom X server from the link below.

    http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

Make sure you get an AGP card, it's worth it.

-Jim