[ale] Hard Drive Upgrade

David Hamm dhamm at itserve.com
Wed Nov 25 17:06:07 EST 1998

I did this a while back and this is what I had to do.
	1.  Us a spare computer to install same version of linux.
		this gets lilo working properly.
	2.  Down the target computer, hang the new drive on it and
		boot it to single user mode at the lilo promtp type
		"linux single".
	3.  Mount the new drive under /mnt/tmp or whatever.
	4.  Read the man page an find out how to make "cp" not follow
		symbolic links but just make them.
	5. "cp -Rpf / /mnt/tmp" Modify this command for the symbolic link stuff.
		You may also try not to copy /boot in order to avoid any lilo
		problems, I got lucky.
 	7.  Play the musical drive game and reboot.

I'm not proud of what I did but the computer is up and running and was only off
line about an hour or two.

--
David Hamm
email: dhamm at itserve.com