[ale] Hard Drive Upgrade

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 25 16:25:34 EST 1998

At 12:10 PM 11/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

>	This was a question I came across myself.  I've got a live server that I
>need to upgrade the root partition on, but don't want to take down the
>server for any appreciable time.
>
>Please let me know as well.
>
>Thanks!
>Jay

I know that I am going to have to take the system down at least twice -
once to install the new drive so it can be formatted/data transfer, and
once to change over jumper settings to make it the master.

Fortunately, I have two day plant shutdown, so I can take the system off
line to do this work.

Even with a hot swap system I have no idea how you could mount the root
partition without at least one outtage.

Regards - Bob