[ale] Linux Government Links

Jim Lynch jwl at dogwood.peachtree.sgi.com
Wed May 6 05:02:06 EDT 1998

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> Hello Everyone:
>
> I just received a call from an old buddy of mine who wants to upgrade
> the government communications systems in a mid size town in South Dakota
> --
> he's the emergency communications coordinator for the town and county.
>
> Naturally, I suggested that in his due diligence process, he needs to
> take
> a look at Linux.
>
> Fine, he said, One of the big requirements is that the system meet C2
> security, be stable, have remote administration, and, have applications

C2 security isn't too tough, but getting it evaluated is expensive.
I don't think anyone has had Linux evaluated for C2.  Don't be surprised
if this requirement kills your quest.

Getting C2 evaluation involves rigorously testing the OS against the Orange
Book specs and submitting proof to some agency in the DOD, I think.  I worked
at a company that took about 3 years and big bucks to get B1.  C2 isn't near
as bad, but I don't know anyone that would spend the money on Linux.

Good luck,
Jim.

Jim Lynch, SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269