[ale] RCS

Matt Perry matt at primefactor.com
Sun Jun 28 21:36:08 EDT 1998

Here's my problem:

	I maintain a very large web site on a Linux box that spans over a
gigabyte of data.  I'd like to implement some form of revision control,
however, I'm not interested in CVS with people "checking out" items to
work on and "checking in" the completed items.

	What I'd like to do instead is have a snapshot of the site made
daily (say at 4 am) that just saves the changes.  That way I can roll back
the web site to a certain day or just roll back a directory to a certain
day.  Can RCS do this?  Will it handle revision control of binaries as
well as html files?  Handling binaries is critical.  Not so critial but
still very important is that it will store only the differences between
one revision of the binary and the next.

	And before you ask:  I have no tape backup or any such hardware
backup system, nor is there any way to install one.  This has to happen
all on the machine at hand.

	I've looked all over the pace trying to find information on RCS or
any revision control system.  I'm not having good results so I decided to
ask here.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com
"After ecstasy, laundry." - Zen writing