[ale] RCS

Tony Scalzitti tscal at vnet.net
Sun Jun 28 22:14:49 EDT 1998

Matt Perry wrote:

> Here's my problem:
>
>         I maintain a very large web site on a Linux box that spans over a
> gigabyte of data.  I'd like to implement some form of revision control,
> however, I'm not interested in CVS with people "checking out" items to
> work on and "checking in" the completed items.
>
>         What I'd like to do instead is have a snapshot of the site made
> daily (say at 4 am) that just saves the changes.  That way I can roll back
> the web site to a certain day or just roll back a directory to a certain
> day.  Can RCS do this?  Will it handle revision control of binaries as
> well as html files?  Handling binaries is critical.  Not so critial but
> still very important is that it will store only the differences between
> one revision of the binary and the next.
>
>         And before you ask:  I have no tape backup or any such hardware
> backup system, nor is there any way to install one.  This has to happen
> all on the machine at hand.
>
>         I've looked all over the pace trying to find information on RCS or
> any revision control system.  I'm not having good results so I decided to
> ask here.
>
> --
> Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com
> "After ecstasy, laundry." - Zen writing

You mak want to try

http://pep.netnation.com/cpbk/

info from appendix record

Backup Copy will allow you to keep a consistent exact copy of your data.
Developed with a 2
  dimensional link list recursive algorithm, Backup Copy will copy
multiple files faster than standard cp.
  Its key features include copying 'new files only' and deleting files
that no longer exist in the source
  when copying over a previous backup. When a file is overwritten or
deleted due to a new backup,
  you have the option of trashing those files into a trash bin,
providing you a backup of your backup.

--
Thank you
Tony