[ale] File systems problem.

Linux Idiot esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jun 15 09:54:22 EDT 1998

Michael S. Donelan wrote:

> Me again. First let me say thank you to Linux Idiot for help with the sound
> card problem. I'll be able to settle that problem as soon as I get help
> with this one.
>
> Recently Gopal Sarma wrote asking for help about mounting a floppy or
> cdrom. I have the same problem he does, namely when I try to mount the
> device, I get the error message "hdc is not /etc/fstab or mtab". I didn't
> see a response to this question in the newsgroup and was wondering if it
> was posted or someone could help me with this problem.

There's a couple things you have to verify.  You've got to make sure
you've got support for the cdrom format in your kernel.  You've got to
make sure your kernel can see your cdrom.

If you cdrom is in fact your hdd drive, try this first:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom

Be sure that the /cdrom directory exists before you mount it.  If this
works, it will tell you that you do have iso9660 support in your kernel
and you kernel recognizes your cdrom hardware.  If this doesn't work,
check out references to your /dev/hdd device during boot or in the
output of dmesg.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Get Windows CE and watch Windows crash in the palm of your hand...