[ale] Advice sought on bringing up scanner with SCSI

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:35:47 EDT 1998

'Lo --
I have an HP 4p scanner which has been working under Win95 with HP's
throw-away SCSI card.  I bought an Iomega "zip scsi accelerator" card
which is an adaptec 1520E (non-BIOS), and should run under the linux
aha152x SCSI driver.  I installed it at ports 0x140-.., IRQ 10, and it
works under Win95.  I have built a 2.0.33 kernel with SCSI support and the
aha152x.o module, rann 'make modules; make modules_install', and now I am
trying to figure out how to activate and test the SCSI interface and the
scanner, which I want to see on '/dev/sga'.

I see a boot message to the general effect of:  "cat /proc/scsi/scsi:  no
such file"  but I don't know exactly what to expect.  I have tried insmod,
depmod, and rmmod and individually they work, and I have seen that the
files 'aha152x' and 'scsi' in '/proc/scsi' after working around a bit, but
haven't yet found a systematic way to work this through.

I want to and up with my scanner accessible through 'sane', and to use it
from 'gimp'.  I know I need to install some apps, as well as getting the
interface configured properly -- presumably 'sane-hp', 'sane', and
possibly 'sane-scsi'. Do any others come to mind?

TIA for any guidance.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
       Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
         "The older I get, the better I was." -- Unknown Sage