[ale] RH5.1 and X

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 29 12:58:21 EDT 1998

>         We just loaded RedHat 5.1 on a Dell m/c at work.  After starting the
>         X server the monitor displays a blue screen and a cross-haired mouse
>         pointer in the center.  The mouse doesn't move, nor do any keys work.
>         It almost seems as though X starts ok but it has some mouse problems.
>         We have to reboot (use the 'reset' on the m/c) since everything seems
>         to be frozen.
>
>         The installation auto-probes all the hardware and detects the video
>         card which is a S3 Virge, however the Superprobe shows 1M of VRAM
>         when the card has 8M.  At least that's what the manual and Window's NT
>         Diagnostics say.  The monitor is a Dell 17ES monitor.  We installed
>         RedHat 5.0 and played around with the different options offered by
>         the MetroX server with no success.  The mouse is a PS/2 one.
>         Can anyone suggest any solutions to this problem?

I have to ask how you are starting up X windows. The standard way is to type
"startx". This will not only start up the X windows server but a window manager
as well. It sounds to me like you are typing just "X" which will indeed start
up the server but not any of the associated environment to make it useful.

Since the autoprobe isn't working, you may have to go in and manually edit the
configuration file to do what you want. Or reconfigure the X setup and not do
the autoproblem

hope this helps

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  | 2nd Atlanta Linux Showcase!
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/      | October 23 - 24, 1998