[ale] Telnet problem

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 29 02:13:45 EDT 1998

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, denethor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just another question, i used the nohup command when I started my mud up
> again the other day, and now I am getting a lot of time outs when I am
> trying to connect to my machine from a remote location. I am note sure
> if the nohup command was the problem, but what would I look for to check
> if the machine was rebooting itself all the time.
>
> It seems as though this is what it is doing, but I can't be sure.
<snip>

	Take a look at the "syslog" and/or "messages" file of your box.
Each time Linux comes up, the kernel usually logs most everything you see
during bootup. Also, run "uptime" to get a general idea as to how long
your box has been up.

	Also, do a "dmesg" to see if you are getting messages such as the
a service complaining about losing net connections or so forth. Basically,
"syslog" (or "messages") is a good place to start either way. Usually
these files can be found as /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, or
/usr/adm/syslog - /usr/adm/messages.

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline