[ale] QuickCams

Jason Boyles jason at chunk.hboc.com
Tue Jul 28 17:34:03 EDT 1998

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 04:20:13PM -0400, Dave Brooks wrote:
> How would one go about setting up a QuickCam under Linux?  We ordered a
> QuickCam VC, and I saw the Linux config programs for it, however I did not
> see any drivers.  I'm assuming those have to be downloaded somewhere?

What kind of QuickCam is this?

Does it connect through the parallel port?

video4linux supports some types of quickcams, as does SANE, and there
are some other user-level command line utilities that will let you capture
images. Not sure if these work with your particular quickcam.

See:

Alan Cox's video4linux page: http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml
The SANE home page: http://www.mostang.com/sane/
Quickcam "Third Party" drivers page: http://www.crynwr.com/qcpc/

There may be others, but I don't know where they are.

----
Jason Boyles <jason at chunk.hboc.com>
"Do you ever just feel thankful that you know me and have access to my
dementia? Explain. Be prepared to discuss in class."