[ale] C++ compiler errors

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 27 18:54:30 EDT 1998

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Gbrdman wrote:

<snip>
> checking for c++... c++
> checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -O2 -Wall -s) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
> create executables.
<snip>
	My hunch would be to try the following:

$export CPP=g++
$export CXX=g++
$export CC=gcc
$./configure

	On most boxes, "c++" is simply a soft link over to "g++". If you
are running RH 5.1, then chances are pretty good that "c++" is actually an
executable version of egcs, not a soft link to g++. Thus, you have to make
things a little more explicit to autoconf and tell it (through environment
variables) what you want it to use for your c++ compiler, mainly, g++, not
egcs.

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline