[ale] x-windows prob(huge display )

RHS Linux User bj at cth.ccsl.com.np
Mon Jul 20 22:27:58 EDT 1998

Dear Sir /Madame,
I am using redhat linux 4.2 on a 486/100 hp vectra pc with 1 mb display
ram , cirrus logic 5430 card with a svga monitor .
I had made a mistake in configuring  my X-windows and it crashed.
I had made the mistakes while fiddling around with xf86config and
Xconfigurator
.
Then I reinistalled it with the help of rpm which was very easy .
rpm -ivh XFree86_SVGA

Now when I do startx , the SVGA server does start and it runs .
But prob is the desktop and  the icons of start or control panel or if I
open any package ,it just covers up the whole desktop area and some
part right out of the display ,mainly the top and bottom parts where
the menu or the oks are located.
Even when I use control panel or any other package , it just occupies such
huge  area with very large  fonts that it is impossible to work at all.
Where do I go to fix this .
I will be grateful for your help .
Thank you in advance .