[ale] Printer Questions

Mike Nelson mnelson at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 18 23:26:35 EDT 1998

If you don't want Samba, you can put a LPD daemon on the Win95 computer. You
can buy the TCP/IP package from Netmanage, Hummingbird, or FTP software, which
would be like paying to get your Yugo painted. They do offer eval software.
If you somehow acquired Hummingbird Exceed, then you can run X sessions
on your Win95 computer to talk to your Linux host for even greater perversity.
I did it to see what it felt like. It was thrilling at first, but afterwards I
felt cheap, and ashamed. But who am I to say what consenting adults do in the
privacy of their home LAN?

There's a shareware lpd for Win95  (winlpd.zip) that I've never used.

You could put the printer on the computer running linux and put a shareware lpr
spooler on the Win95 machine. Search www.shareware.com for "spooler" - There's
a WLPRSPL spooler that lets you print from Windows to a Unix host. I
have used the win3.1 version; it seemed to be OK.

-------------Original message follows----------------------
Okay, I have an old HP Deskjet 540 hanging off a Win95 box that's connected
to my home LAN.  Is it possible for Linux to print to that printer, or must
Samba be installed?

:wq
Until next time:  David dave at spork.deflux.org
"Where should I begin?" asked the white rabbit,
putting on his spectacles.
"Start at the beginning," said the King sternly,
"...and stop when you reach the end."

E-Mail: Mike Nelson <mnelson at bellsouth.net>
Date: 18-Jul-98
Time: 22:44:41