[ale] Printer Questions

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 18 15:37:59 EDT 1998

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Dave[tm] wrote:

Linux can print to that printer but you will need samba installed to do
it, samba comes with a couple scripts to print to a windows printer, but
Ive heard (never done it myself) that they dont work and its a real pain
in the butt to get working.
If possible I would recommend putting the printer on the linux box if at
all possible. Its relatively straight forward after a couple of hours of
reading, and I just went through it a couple weeks ago if you need any
help.
Nick

> Okay, I have an old HP Deskjet 540 hanging off a Win95 box that's connected
> to my home LAN.  Is it possible for Linux to print to that printer, or must
> Samba be installed?
>
> :wq
> --
> Until next time:  David dave at spork.deflux.org
> "Where should I begin?" asked the white rabbit,
> putting on his spectacles.
> "Start at the beginning," said the King sternly,
> "...and stop when you reach the end."

           What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
                    -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875