[ale] Off topic

Matt Shade mshade at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 17 10:34:29 EDT 1998

rant
It's been more than a couple years since I've been in college, so I'd
like to ask anyone with recent or current college experience - what the
hell are they teaching for C.S. degrees these days? Is it computer
science or computer applications?

I just got into a discussion with someone last night who has recently
gotten a C.S. degree, but had no idea what I was talking about when I
was asking for a "full path" to a program. This was on a unix system and
on an operating system this person SUPPORTS!

Another person I've talked to who has gotten a degree in the last year
also has no grasp of basic OS concepts. He says he was taught NT and NT
apps in school. What the hell happened to computer architecture and
Assembler and C and algorithms as fundamental building blocks? Have they
been replaced with Windows 101 and Word Fundamentals? This is scary to
me.
/rant