[ale] scripting, bash, help (fwd)

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 17 08:13:53 EDT 1998

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, George Nies wrote:

> while :
> do
>     tail -n 1 /var/log/secure | grep -v ident && echo -e "\a"
>     sleep 60 #(seconds) or whatever sleep time you want.
> done

JOOC, what in the system counts down the seconds for a sleep command?
Does it run like a cron job, or does the processor actually keep up with
it like a suspended job & monitor the clock to see when to resume
execution?

       * * * * * * *   Ben Phillips <pynk at cc.gatech.edu>   * * * * * *
       *      Not that I think I'm God.  What a cliche.  I don't     *
       *      even want to be God.  I just want to feel like him.    *
       *                       - Lee Moler, "Suicide Note"           *