[ale] IP addresses

denethor denethor at apr.net.au
Tue Jul 14 22:28:08 EDT 1998

Hi all. I have a very confusing question to ask. I hope that I explain
myself.

Currently I have a business registered with internic, called
dragondesign.net. The web page is currently being hosted at an isp
called NETEZY.

I also have a server at work, which is connected to the internet,
through our work isp. It has an ip address. This server that I am using,
is a mudserver, ie I have a mud running. The server also has a name,
(which was asked for when I loaded up linux.) I put in
mudserver.dragondesign.net. It also asked for the ip address it would be
on. It is 203.56.64.25.

Now the question I am asking is, when you say load up Zmud, and try to
connect to mudserver.dragondesign.net, it says can't find ip address,
but if you put in the ip address, you log straight into the mud.

I would like to have it so that if you put the server name into the
connector, it does a host name lookup, finds the ip address, and then
vwalllaaa, you are logged into the mud. Do I have to register the mud
server with a Domain Name? or can the ip address be placed in free of
charge with either netezy or APR (my work isp)

I hope this was explained properly.

regards

denethor