[ale] Web server profiling

Brian H. Trammell brian at altara.org
Tue Jul 14 11:46:15 EDT 1998

We're considering moving our primary web and mail services to a dual PPro
200 (GW2K NS-7000) running RedHat Linux 5.1. We have 300 users who are
addicted to massive MIME attachments (i.e. have never heard of Windows
file sharing and so mail a 3MB Word 98 back and forth for each paragraph
change) and provide web service for an entire school at Georgia Tech.

I'm pretty sure the machine will be fast stable enough under high
load (I've run several high-volume mail tests on it) but need further
tests, with numbers, to convince Management that a Linux solution is the
best way to do things.

Can anyone point me to a test suite for web servers that will simulate a
heavy web load? Also, are there any mail system test suites we could use
to simulate a heavy mail load?

Thanks,

brian

..........brian h. trammell <brian at altara.org> http://www.altara.org/~brian
.......................director, the altara open network - atlanta, georgia
.........................Communication without Gates - http://www.linux.org

"You've got to dance like nobody's watching."