[ale] HowTO make a new HD partition ?

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 8 14:26:50 EDT 1998

<snip>
> Running RedHat4.2, I now have hda1 =500M, hda2 =1.5Gig and would now
> like to implement a new partition hda3 of 1Gig [from a 4Gig disk] usable
> as a buffer for tape backups.
<snip>
	Courtney,

	Though I don't really know if the "File System Manager" will do
the trick, I usually use "fdisk" to set up partitions. Once you have
created your /dev/hda3 (Primary Partition number 3 in fdisk talk), then I
usually write down the total number of "blocks" which your new partition
is. For instance:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1048 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      917   462136+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda2          918      918     1048    66024   82  Linux swap

	...My /dev/hda1 is 462136 blocks. Knowing this, then, then I would
do a "mke2fs -v /dev/hda1 462136". Once I've done this, I've then got a
nicely formatted /dev/hda1 with 462136 blocks (approximately 460 megs).

	Though this is more of the "grunt" way of creating / formatting
partitions, it should do the trick on just about any Linux box. If using
fdisk still kind of scares you, then, hopefully someone else on the list
will post about how to create your partition with the "File System
Manager" tool.
							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu