[ale] Fwd: Fastest Linux Box

Bob bob at cavu.com
Fri Jul 3 20:56:33 EDT 1998

 From: Jim Choate <ravage at einstein.ssz.com>
Subject: Press Releases (fwd)
To: users at einstein.ssz.com (SSZ User Mail List)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:36:10 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: friends at einstein.ssz.com (Ravage's Friends),
        ace at einstein.ssz.com (Advanced Computer Experimentation),
        tesla at einstein.ssz.com (Experimental Instrumentation),
        stugreen at realtime.net

Forwarded message:
>From owner-cypherpunks at ssz.com Fri Jul  3 07:47:42 1998
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:11:02 -0400
To: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net, coderpunks at toad.com, cryptography at c2.net
 From: Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: Press Releases
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at einstein.ssz.com

Los Alamos mail-order supercomputer among world's fastest

LOS ALAMOS, N.M., June 18, 1998 - A supercomputer built from ordinary
personal computer components is among the 500 fastest computers in the
world, an international survey reported today.

The Avalon computer cost just $150,000 to build, and can compute more
than 20 billion mathematical operations in a second, said Michael Warren
of Los Alamos National Laboratory's Theoretical Astrophysics Group.

Avalon made the 315th spot on the 11th TOP500 list released at the
Supercomputer '98 conference in Mannheim, Germany. The list is the
best-known ranking of supercomputer performance.

"It's now possible for a small group of motivated people to design and
build their own parallel supercomputer using off-the-shelf computer parts
and easily available software," Warren said. "Only a handful of companies
in the world produce a computer this fast, and the least expensive costs
well over a million dollars."

Avalon is built out of 68 high-end personal computers that use the
Digital Equipment Corporation Alpha microprocessor, connected by 3Com
network switches similar to those found in a university department or
small business. Each processor in the Los Alamos supercomputer is an
ordinary PC, using the same type of memory and disk drives found in a
computer on an office desktop.

"Each of these processors theoretically is capable of performing over one
billion operations a second, and we bought them at consumer prices," said
Warren.

But hardware is only half of the equation. Software is the hardest part
of getting many processors to work together on the same problem. The Los
Alamos team used an open source Linux operating system and other software
available on the Internet.

"The key to the success of these machines lies in their software, and the
most important part of that software is the Linux operating system,"
Warren explained. "Linux can be obtained at no cost through the

Internet, but that is minor compared to its other advantages. In my
experience, the reliability and performance of Linux has no peer.

"We have stressed Linux well beyond where one would expect it to fail,
and it has performed admirably. Because it was developed as open source
software, we can go to the source code and fix many problems immediately,"
Warren continued. "If we can't fix it ourselves, we can tap the huge pool
of Linux expertise on the Internet."

While some question the reliability, complexity and difficulty of
installing software on a "do-it-yourself" supercomputer, Warren and his
team had no problems.

"We got most of the parts for Avalon on Friday, April 10. Three days
later, the machine was computing at over 10 billion operations per
second." he said.

By Wednesday, which was the deadline for TOP500 list entries, Avalon had
achieved 19.2 billion floating point operations per second. The computer
hasn't suffered a single hardware failure or operating system crash on any
of the 68 processors during the last six weeks.

Working with Warren to build Avalon were David Neal, systems
administrator for Los Alamos' Center for Nonlinear Studies, and David
Moulton and Aric Hagberg, both from the Mathematical Modeling and Analysis
Group.

In its short life, Avalon already has performed some significant
scientific computations.

One of the first simulations followed the evolution of a shock wave
through 60 million atoms. The simulation ran for more than 300 hours on
Avalon, calculating about 10 billion floating point operations per second.

Physicist Peter Lomdahl, who won the Gordon Bell prize for significant
achievement in parallel processing using the Connection Machine 5
supercomputer at Los Alamos said the Avalon system was extremely easy to
use.

"We ported our molecular dynamics code over in about a day and have been
able to perform state-of-the-art simulations of shock-waves in metals that
ordinarily would have required the Lab's large-scale

shared-memory parallel systems" Lomdahl said. "Not only does the Avalon
system run slightly faster than a similarly sized commercial system, it
does it at a tenth of the cost, and is much easier to use."Warren will use
the machine in his computational astrophysics research, performing
simulations of galaxies.

"I am interested in simulating the evolution of the universe from its
very early stages up to the present day," Warren said. "We can test
different ideas about the way the universe is put together by comparing
the galaxies simulated inside the computer with real observations made by
the latest generation of telescopes. Avalon puts the computational power
we need to do those simulations inside our own building, at a price we can
afford."

In its "spare time," Avalon helped crack the Certicom Elliptic Curve
Cryptosystem challenge, winning a $4,000 prize that was donated to the
Free Software Foundation. The Foundation led the development of many of
the software tools Avalon uses.

The code-breaking calculations ran at the same time as other large
simulations, but only made progress when the computer didn't have anything
else to do.

Initial funds to buy and build Avalon came from the Center for Nonlinear
Studies. Other funding came from the Laboratory Directed Research and
Development program and the Theoretical Division. Shi-yi Chen, deputy
leader of the Center for Nonlinear Studies, said "Avalon will be used for
fundamental researches in nonlinear sciences for a variety of areas,
including applied mathematics, material sciences, complex systems and
climate modeling."

Warren has used parallel computers throughout his career, including
several which have held records as world's fastest at the time. In 1996,
he built his first off-the shelf computer, Loki, which last year won the
Gordon Bell prize in the "price to performance" category.

"Loki proved itself as the most cost-effective way to perform large-scale
scientific simulations last year, and now Avalon provides ten times that
performance for only three times the price," Warren said.

Computers using off-the-shelf technology like Loki and Avalon are called
"Beowulf" computers, after the project begun by Thomas Sterling at the
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

"Avalon is a dramatic demonstration of the long-term potential of the
Beowulf model for scalable, high-end computing to perform real-world
applications in science and engineering at unprecedented price-to-
performance ratios," Sterling said. "Since 1994 when the earliest Beowulf
systems were developed at

NASA, a rapidly growing community world-wide has emerged to apply the
Beowulf approach to a broad range of important problems.

"Avalon represents a new generation of Beowulf systems -- breaking new
ground in performance and extending their utility to new and important
areas," Sterling said.

Warren thinks that Avalon's success is only the beginning.

"In the future, I imagine hundreds or thousands of machines of this type,
working on important science, engineering and business problems," he said.
"You will probably never hear about those computers, because they are
simply a tool; the problems that they solve and the progress they enable
is the important news."

More information about Avalon is available at the following URL on the
World Wide Web: http://cnls.lanl.gov/avalon

Los Alamos National Laboratory is operated by the University of
California for the U.S. Department of Energy.

News releases

Public Affairs Office (PAO)
http://www.lanl.gov/external/news/releases/archive/98-089.html
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The Philodox Symposium on Digital Bearer Transaction Settlement
  July 23-24, 1998: <http://www.philodox.com/symposiuminfo.html>