[ale] Sound Card Suggestions

Joe Novosel gt2497b at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 9 00:26:27 EST 1998

> Hello all,
>   My wife is giving me a sound card for my birthday and I would like to
> know experiences/suggestions regarding selecting one.  I have determined
> that I pretty much need to stick with SoundBlaster.  I'm looking at the SB
> 16, SB AWE32, and SB AWE64.  I also figure that I'll need to purchase the
> OSS drivers ($30) for the latter two.  My system:
>
> 233 MMX
> 64 MB RAM
> 4.3 GB HD
> 10X CDROM
> Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 4MB Video
> 800 MB floppy tape
> RedHat 5.0 / Windoz 95B
>
> Is there a significant difference between the 32 and 64 ?  How do these
> act with the free OSS drivers under RH 5.0 ?  I have already ftp'd 2.0.33
> and the sound files from RedHat and have them waiting in the wings.  This
> will be my first experience with sound and I'm a little green on this
> subject.  All I'm going for (at this moment) is for audio cd's and RA
> Player (for out of town radio stations.)  But I don't want to short change
> myself too bad.
>
> Any suggestions/comments/experiences are welcome.

I have the AWE64 value edition and it works great!
I also am using the OSS drivers.  Setup is very easy.  I haven't done much
other than install the drivers (to shut up the hardware detect) under
Windoze since I rarely use that inferior product.

Good luck,
Joe Novosel
jnovosel at cc.gatech.edu

This address may not be used for unsolicited email.
******   Repeal the 16th amendment!   ******