[ale] Can't locate net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 modules

Steven A DuChene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Thu Jan 8 14:08:31 EST 1998

If anyone receives this twice I appologize but according to what I
got back it seems to have bounced the first time I sent it out.

> Marc A. Torres wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Ben Coleman wrote:
> > > After recompiling the kernel to add PPP, I've noticed that on boot-up I'm
> > > seeing the messages 'modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4' and the same
> > > for net-pf-5 when TCP/IP is started up.  IP seems to work OK, but I'm
> >
> > It's not a problem with anything you did.  I imagine this is a Redhat box?
> > To fix it, create/modify the file /etc/conf.modules and add:
> >         alias net-pf-4 off
> >         alias net-pf-5 off

Geoffrey Myers replied:
> I get these messages too, and I appreciate the solution.  The 'problem
> solver' in me really would like to know what these things are that it's
> trying to load and why they are there...

One way to find out about what the systems is looking for and what module
utilities knows about is to run "modprobe -c"

This lists out the default modules configuration has pre-compiled into it
and the over-riding stuff from the /etc/conf.modules file.
--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.