[ale] Corel/Wordperfect Printer choice

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 31 14:51:18 EST 1998

Thanks to all who responded, including several as follows:

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Chris Ricker wrote:

> > > ... I don't know what to
> > > use as a printer.  Common to many linuces, I run gs (5.10 in my case), and
> > > would like WP to put out PostScript to lpr.

Suggestion to use a common PS printer hasn't worked, apparently because
the WP output fails to contain the proper 'magic' - it just gets printed
as character traffic.  Maybe I just didn't hit the right printer, but it
hasn't worked with HP5 Postscript, for example.

> just use the Pass-through PostScript printer driver.

I missed that one going through the selection menu, but it has some
problems, too.  I get my sample page, followed by a 'gs' dump which
starts:

Error: /rangecheck in .installpagedevice
Operand stack:
  (etc)

When I print to a file and try to screen it in 'ghostview', I see only the
first two lines, not the next two.  'gv' doesn't show any content.

Does that look familiar? (I'll check Corel's web page, also, thanks.)

Regards - Happy New Year - mills

  John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
         Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
  "Give someone a fish and they can eat for a day.  Teach them to use the
   InterNet and they won't bother you for weeks." - from posted news item