[ale] Dual Processor Boards & Linux...

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Dec 28 15:23:43 EST 1998

To add my two cents, when Vernard says "single threaded applications such
as most traditional process based applications will not run faster simply
by running them on an SMP machine," I think he's talking about the app *by
itself* as opposed to the same app running more than once, or a whole bunch
of different apps at once.

This is why at the DOE a year or more ago I specced out an NT machine that
was going to be spending the first part of its life running a DOS database
app.  I specced a two-CPU board but only popped for one CPU because NT's
VDM wasn't multithreaded and the second CPU wasn't going to be much help.
On the other hand, when the Oracle-based software comes down the pike and
replaces the DOS app, then it will be time to stuff in the second PII.
Multiple processors are good for things where you have several different
and not necessarily related things going on at once and if you're running
apps that are actually multithreaded.

Out of curiousity:  does anyone know what happens if you put Linux on the
6-Pentium-Pro ALR Revolution 6x6?  I used to have one at the DOE and I miss
it.

- Jeff

vernard at cc.gatech.edu (Vernard Martin) on 12/28/98 02:48:44 PM