[ale] MediaOne Cable Modem

Mark Cotner mcotner at mediaone.net
Sun Dec 27 22:03:24 EST 1998

--------------C93D51215A00BA4725B1E489

Jere,
Cable modems work great under Linux.  However the install tech will need to get
you up and running with another supported OS.  The reasoning behind this is
simple.  Linux is not supported(in that our install techs are not guaranteed to
know how to use it) and we need to make sure that the cable modem is working
before we leave your house for the install.  My suggestion is to have it
installed on a box that either has NT on it or is a dual boot box(if you have
one).  Then just hook it up to whichever you choose afterward.  It couldn't be a
simpler setup.  All you have to do is have Linux recognize your NIC and turn on
DHCP for the device.  Our AIC servers do the rest.  By the way . . . you don't
HAVE to use our NIC.  You can use any NIC you like.  I hope this helps.  Let me
know if you have any more questions.

'njoy,
Mark

Jere McDevitt wrote:

> I recently checked availability for MediaOne Cable modems in my area (due
> sometime in 1999).
>
> Anyway, I went to register for information when the service is available and
> one of the questions was OS.  Linux was listed in the drop down as  "Not
> Supported".  Surprise, surprise, as is expected only Win95, Win98, WinNT and
> MacOS are "Supported".
>
> Anyone know if this just means that they won't do the install and support or
> that they won't even give you the service?
>
> Also, I noted that they supply an NIC for use.  Anyone know what will happen
> if I already have an NIC in my box and a home network (small 5 port hub, 3
> boxes)?  Will I need to put the new NIC in my box (low on slots, although the
> modem won't be needed afterward so it's a wash) and then setup as a seperate
> IP address?
>
> Any info anyone has on Media One cable modems (dependability, service, # of
> news groups, use in Linux, support, etc) I'd appreciate hearing about.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jere

--------------C93D51215A00BA4725B1E489

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark Cotner
n:              Cotner;Mark
org:            RoadRunner(formarly MediaOne Express)
adr:            4545 Stonegate Ind. Blvd;;;Stone Mountain;Georgia;30083;United States
email;internet: mcotner at mediaone.net
title:          UNIX System Administrator
tel;work:       404-228-6091
tel;fax:        404-298-6733
tel;home:       770-465-2750
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0