[ale] 10 Gig IDE HD

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 27 14:25:55 EST 1998

At 01:30 PM 12/27/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> I have a WD 10 gig HD that I would like to run as /dev/hda1, e.g. the boot
>> drive.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this happen or have any
>> experience with boot drives drives containing > 1024 cylinders
>>
>	Well.. You shouldn't have any problem using that as the boot
>drive... the nly problem I would see you encountering would be that the
>boot partition does have to be under the 1024 cylinder limit... the
>easiest way to get around that is to have a small partition under 1024 for
>the root partition then partition the rest of the drive as you want...

Jeremy;

I found that the problem was enabling a bootable partition.  For some
reason, fdisk does not do this by default if the partition has more than
1024 cylinders.

Using cfdisk I enabled the toggle the bootdisk bit.  After that, it booted
just fine with LILO and a 1200 + cylinders.  With an AMD K6-350 and 128
megs of Ram, all is well again in Linuxland... ;-).

Regards - Bob Kruger