[ale] Several questions

Mark Cotner mcotner at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 26 18:37:16 EST 1998

--------------3EB2796AEAD3EBCCAF62198E

Let's see . . . . here are some possibilities . . . . perhaps others will
have more to add.  See comments below.

'njoy,
Mark

Michael B Golden wrote:

>         Sorry about all these messages, I am taking more than my share of
> the bandwidth, so I hope that this will be my last one for a little while
> at least.
>
> 1. My printer
>         At one time, I printed the Firewall HOWTO out of TkDesk for my
> dad. From then on, linux has been obsessed with printing it again. As
> soon as it finished the first time, it started again. Whenever I turn on
> the printer in linux, it tries to finish printing it. It won't stop even
> after reboot and I would like to be able to print other things in linux.
> Any tips?

Try running lpq and check for the job.  If it is listed in the queue, note
its job number(third column) and run lprm [job_number].

> 2. Linux file system
>         To my great delight, I received a "secret santa" gift of a 4.3G
> HD. Because so much of the stuff I have is Windows specific, I plan to
> run it dual boot Win95 and Linux. How much space do I need to give for
> linux? How should I set up the partitions? (How many partitions for
> linux?) Which directories are supposed to go on their own partition, and
> how do I set it up to know where they are? I plan to give linux around
> 2G, is that too much? Note that I am setting up a 'new' system for this
> drive. (New refers to 486DX4 100. ;)  )

You probably already know what's coming.  It really depends on what
applications you will be running.  I will warn you, however, and say that
Linux apps are growing -- Corel WP for Linux was about 80MB for the full
install.  I use my Linux box every day and have just about everything I need
running on it and I don't use more than 2GB.  I think you'll be okay with
that.

> 3. Multiple Hard drives
>         Is there any way, with multiple hard drives, for linux to think
> they are one? For example, be able to split a file across both drives,
> yet it run as if it were on one. On the computer I am on now( the 4.3G HD
> goes on a different computer), I have two hard drives. Because of the
> limited space on each, I would like to have linux think they are the
> same. It gets annoying having to move files from one drive to the other
> to install software in linux.

Well, there are two answers to your question.  Yes you can split the root
filesystem up as many times as you want and spread it across multiple drives
and partitions(which I think is the answer to your question).  But on the
off chance that you're talking about striping the data (one mount multiple
drives) then I don't really have an answer for you.  I use Solstice and
Veritas for Solaris machines, but a quick peek at Veritas' site yielded no
version for Linux(only Solaris and NT) . . .perhaps we should bug them about
this.  Maybe someone else has played with this on a Linux box and could
provide more info.

> 4. Dissappearing files
>         I have downloaded several files, and save them to D:\ in Windows.
> When in linux, I access them from /DOS/ and use the mv filename
> ~/filename command. When I then issue a cd ~, the files are gone. They no
> longer exist anywhere. Yet, when I use cp filename ~/filename, and then
> delete the original, it works fine. Why does it do this, and can it be
> fixed?

Got me on that one . . . I've noticed some strange things with the mv
command on differing file systems, but haven't been able to put my finger on
exactly what is going wrong.

> 5. Strange colors in X games
>         In some X windows games that I have had, when I would move the
> mouse off of the window, strange colors result. Others (less simple
> games) run with no problem. Coincidentally, the games I have run in X
> also have SVGALIB versions, which I run because of the problem in X. Any
> way to fix this?

This is normal.  Some games have different pallettes(sp?) than the rest of
your display due to palletized 256 color graphics.  This is X's way of
dealing with the differing pallettes.  Can't be fixed that I am aware of.

> 6. Dissappearing .gz
>         When I download programs for linux and successfully move them to
> an installation area, I gzip -d them. Where did the .gz file go when I
> did this? Also, where am I supposed to unzip these programs at? From what
> I have read, there is a specific place I am supposed to install programs,
> where is it?

Hmm, well the first answer is that gzip removes the file after
decompression.  An alternative that I like to use(but it only works with
tarred AND gzipped files) is to use the -z switch with tar to uncompress the
files and untar them at the same time.  It also leaves the compressed tar
file behind after it's done.  Looks something like this tar -zxf
[filename.tar.gz or filename.tgz]  This MAY ONLY work in newer
distributions.  I never used it before RH5.0.

> I hope that covers it all for now. (Except for PPP, which appears to be a
> problem on my dad's end. I will try running my windows dialer in WINE
> when I eventually get it.)
>
> Michael Golden
> Naugrim at Juno.com
> Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocator
>
> P.S. Is the person that runs the Linux General Store on this list? If so,
> I would like to privately email them on some things.

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

--------------3EB2796AEAD3EBCCAF62198E

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark Cotner
n:              Cotner;Mark
org:            RoadRunner(formarly MediaOne Express)
adr:            4545 Stonegate Ind. Blvd;;;Stone Mountain;Georgia;30083;United States
email;internet: mcotner at mediaone.net
title:          UNIX System Administrator
tel;work:       404-228-6091
tel;fax:        404-298-6733
tel;home:       770-465-2750
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0