[ale] keep losing vfat support after compiling, depping, moving kernel in rh5.2

David Brooks dave.brooks at disctech.net
Thu Dec 24 14:33:30 EST 1998

You're right, partially, it is a module problem.

1) are you *sure* you specified vfat support as a module in menuconfig?
2) If yes, make sure you have fat and nls support compiled in also (vfat
depends on one of these, Im not sure which)
3) Make sure that your loadable module support *IS* compiled in.  You can
check my going to the /usr/src/linux directory, and typing menuconfig again.
It will bring up your previous config, unless you make mrproper'd since you
last did menuconfig.
5)  If loadable support *isnt* compiled in, specify it, and recompile your
kernel.
6) If the vfat, fat, or nls options were simply not created as modules, then
you dont have to recompile the whole kernel.  Just specify them as modules,
and 'make modules; make modules_install'.
7) If all other conceivable, diety-reigned, fire-slinging ideas do not work,
then just quit using RedHat.  It was crap like this that made me stop using
it about a  year ago. :)

Regards,
Dave Brooks
db at disctech.net