[ale] can a Hayes Accura33.6 "external" modem be installed ?

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Sat Dec 19 23:50:01 EST 1998

    Courtney> Greetings !  Can the subject modem be installed under
    Courtney> Linux and other unices ?

	If it's external you're pretty safe.  The problem with non-M$
OSen and some modems is with internal "Winmodems", which depend on
your CPU to do the signal processing for them rather than using a
dedicated DSP chip.  This makes them much cheaper to produce, but the
performance can be sorely lacking (I've heard anecdotal stories of a
33.6 winmodem seeming to be slower than a 14.4 modem; I'd imagine true
performance will vary with CPU power).

    Courtney> If so, how ?

	Plug in modem power.  Connect modem to phone line.  Plug
serial cable from modem to serial port on computer.  Tell computer
that the modem is on that serial port.  If you need more help, there's
the Modem HOWTO at

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/howto/Modem-HOWTO

--
Fletch                |                                            __`'/|
fletch at phydeaux.org   |       "I drank what?" -- Socrates          \ o.O'