[ale] Reinventing the Wheel

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Dec 19 11:36:52 EST 1998

David Brooks wrote:

> Okay, so today, I rediscovered Quake.  (Yes, LJ got me interested again,
> thanks alot, LJ :) And since the last time I played it, they have all this
> fancy VooDooII mumbo jumbo.  Frankly, I think it looks pretty danged cool.
>
> A few questions, if I decide to buy one of these Voodoo thingemabobbers,
> does it replace my old video card?  Ive heard it works with it > somehow.

I recently purchased a Diamond Monster 3DII card, (voodoo chip).
Physically the way it works is that your existing card, the 3d card and
your monitor are kindof daisy chained together. Your existing video card
connects to the 3d card and then your monitor connects to the 3d card.

> 2) How easy are they to get working in Linux?

There are couple of really good web sites that are Quake specific, that
will provide you with the drivers you need to support the voodoo chips.
Start with: http://planetquake.com/linux/

> 3) Is there a video card that
> has the voodoo chip built into it, allowing a one-card operation?

I think so, but I've not research it myself.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????