[ale] re: reinvention of the wheel

Andreas Koepp akoepp at planet-interkom.de
Sat Dec 19 06:31:00 EST 1998

sorry, at the 1. try to sent this, i had a little problem with my
email-programm, so that my  text wasn´t sended at all. Please excuse.
andreas

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 02:02:25 -0500
"David Brooks" <dave.brooks at disctech.net> wrote:

> Okay, so today, I rediscovered Quake.  (Yes, LJ got me interested
again,
> thanks alot, LJ :) And since the last time I played it, they have all
this
> fancy VooDooII mumbo jumbo.  Frankly, I think it looks pretty danged
cool.

> A few questions, if I decide to buy one of these Voodoo
thingemabobbers,
> does it replace my old video card?  Ive heard it works with it
somehow.  2)
> How easy are they to get working in Linux?  3) Is there a video card
that
> has the voodoo chip built into it, allowing a one-card operation?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> :wq
> Until Next Time:  David db at trusted.net

1: no, you normaly do not change your vga-card, a voodoo-card is only an

add-on (look al 3:)
2: i really don´t know, but i think, it is not to difficult (there are
special x-servers for 3d-fx-chips and so on...)
3: there are some combined vga/voodoo-cards, like the hercules strinray
128 3D, but normaly a voodoo-card ist only an add-on, which means, you
put
a cabel from your normal vga-out to the vodoo-in, an from the
voodoo-card
an second cabel to your monitor. I would never buy such an combined card

because:
- they can make driver-problems under every os
- there are no, as i know, with got an vodoo-2 chip onboard
but, if you want only one card inside your computer, you can choose a
card with the 3d-fx banshee-chip, which is a full voodoo-compatible
3d-accelerator and a 2d-graphicchip, but then you´ ve got to change your

vga-card.

andreas
Andreas Koepp

akoepp at planet-interkom.de