[Fwd: [ale] need advice on adding frontpage ext to Apache]

michael mcdermott m at wroth.com
Fri Dec 18 12:34:59 EST 1998

Well for one, the unix extentions have a few bugs and quirks, you would have to
install them to find out about that, I don't know how they behave under Linux,
just BSDI. They work "OK" under BSDI.

the main reason that you don't want to do that is that:

they require write access to the conf files for apache

they spawn huge processes, one for every instance of someone using frontpage
about 7M a piece.

they suck up cpu cycles that you could be using for other, more important
things.

the unix versions are not actually produced by microsoft, but by a third party,
so YMMV with them.

I have seen just frontpage spike a serverload above 200 a few times on a
reasonably stable BSDI system with 380M of memory and 1G of swap with p2-300Mhz
processors running off a 20G raid5 array.

and if you are expected to provide any customer support for them, they are
quirky as hell.

--
"Of course the void is nothinginess. By knowing things that exist,
 you can know that which does not exist. That is the void."