[ale] WordPerfect Install ???'s

Ryan ...... twobarrel at amdyne.net
Fri Dec 18 00:45:11 EST 1998

    Ok Ok.  I know.  It's late and I am in a hurry to install this new
WordPerfect8 thang.  Anyway, I don't seem to be able to install it
properly.  I am running Caldera, 2.0.33. ( I haven't had the time to
upgrade the kernel ).  I copied the files to a temp directory under the
/root directory.  I unzipped and decompressed the files using
                                             tar --ungzip -xf <filename>

This seems to have worked fine.  All the files are pulled out ok.  Then
I ran the ' Runme ' script.  It asked if I unzipped the files, I answer
' y ', then it tries to unzip the files again, giving me file header,
not a tar file warnings.  The it asks for the install directory.  I told
it "  /WordPerfect8 ".  Didn't like that.  The it renamed all the .gz
files to .gz.bk

    I reran the tar command, ran the same thing, but said to install to
" test ".  This would actually have been /root/wp/test.  The same thing
happened again.  Said invalid directory then the Runme script exited.

    Am I doing anything wrong.  I am doing all this from the command
line.  Should I be doing it from XWindows?  The readme files are vague
on this.

    Any ideas or suggestions?

            Ryan