[ale] Added an IDE CD-ROM Drive

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 16 18:28:13 EST 1998

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:

> Then I added a cheapie PCI-bus single-channel IDE card that had come with
> the machine initially (and I know once worked under RH 5.1) and connected
> it to an IDE CD-ROM drive that once worked with that very same IDE card.

What are you running now?  Slackware makes a directory called /cdrom (off of
the root directory).  It could be you don't have kernel support.

>  Oh, by the way, FWIW, the door
> won't open (and I really think I plugged the power connector in!).

That's kinda scary, and unless your CD-ROM is a weird one that needs
software permission to open (the likes of which I've never seen), then it
really could be a hardware issue.

                      __   _
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    "If it's a hobby for us and a
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   job for you, then why are you
                     \__.-._)         '''    doing such a shoddy job?"
		                              -- Linus Torvalds to Microsoft