[ale] starting programming

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Dec 15 00:05:26 EST 1998

Phil Heaton wrote:

> Tri wrote:
> >
> > When I do learn to program linux, of course, would be
> > my main programming, developing platform, so I don't think this e-mail
> > is too off subject.
> > Tri
>
> If you're going to use Linux, I recommend learning
> Perl. If Linux were a Jeep, Perls the wench. I actually
> started using Perl via a "dummys" book and then bought
> others when I knew what to look for. As for as C goes,
> I donno. I like the Sams "teach yourself" books on C++.
> Maybe you should take a look at those..?

I don't think Perl is a good place to start learning programming
languages. It's too big.  I'd recommend C, start with three books:

The C Programming Language (K&R previously mentioned)
The UNIX Programming Environment (Kernighan and Rob Pike)
Advanced UNIX programming (Marc J. Rochkind)

Now I know there are recent versions of K&R, I don't know about the
others, but these three books will give you a hell of an introduction
and then all you want when it comes to programming C in the UNIX
environment.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????