[ale] Can I network my wife's Win95 system to the net via Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 14 15:14:07 EST 1998

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jim Lynch wrote:

> I finally got around to connecting my wife's machine to the hub so we
> can share printers and files.  She asked me if she can now get on the
> internet.  I said "Sure".  Now I gotta put up and I don't really know
> how (or if).  So the configuration is my system that is connected to the
> net via a ppp connection to mindspring and her Win95 system.  Is there a
> way that she can run Netscape on Win95 and let me route her connection
> to mindspring?  I've heard of ip aliasing, but I'm not real sure that is
> what I want to do.  I've used Samba in the past to interface Linux and
> Win95, but that doesn't seem like it even enters into the picture.

What you want is ip masquerading.  There's a how-to at
http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ and lots of other places.  Basically, you give
all your machines IP addresses from one of the private address blocks (I
use the 10.0.0.x just 'cause it's easier to remember than 192.68 or
whatever), make your linux box the gateway for all the other machines,
configure your linux box to forward packets using ipfwadm (2.0 kernels) or
ipchains (2.1 kernels), and you're all on the net.  You might have to play
with default routes a bit to make it work properly with your PPP connection,
but it's fairly straight-forward to get working.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu