[ale] BSD disks and Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Dec 11 14:17:10 EST 1998

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, David Hamm wrote:

> I have a bsd hd formated with ufs that I'd like to read.  The problem is that
> fdisk/linux does not see the disk geometry properly and I can't mount it.  So
> another solution to this problem is to make a dual boot system.  Can someone
> tell me wheather lilo can boot bsd or not or how to get linux to see the proper
> geometry on the bsd disk?

What flavor BSD and what kernel version?  What you need is a recent kernel
(where "recent" varies with BSD flavor) which will recognize the "slices"
inside the partition.  It will then map those slices as extended partitions
which you can mount with a  -t ufs argument (the same's true for Solaris x86
which does the same stupid slice within partition stuff, for that matter).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu