[ale] First Use of Samba

Armsby-Jr, John W John.Armsby-jr at West.Boeing.com
Thu Dec 10 12:54:47 EST 1998

I am running redhat 5.1.  I just spoke with a coworker who made some
suggestions which now enables samba to "work".  I am in his debt.

1.  I enabled clear text passwords on my win95 pc.
2.  I created on the linux box a login and password which exactly matches my
PC nt login and password.
3.  security=user is uncommented.  guest account=pcguest is uncommented.
4.  On my pc I can map a drive to the linux box, using my NT login and
password.
5.  I can find the directory on the linux box using network neighborhood.
Hooray!

	On my sparc 20, I can map the drive to my existing unix
account/password combination and I am there.  I can NOT do this on my linux
box.

	Nick Lucent has emailed me a sample smb.conf file which I have not
yet looked at.

	Here is mine:

	John