[ale] A Graphical Look at Client/Server OS Costs

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Wed Dec 9 14:50:07 EST 1998

The attached Excel 97 speadsheet and 3-D charts provide a rather withering
look at the costs of various combinations of client and server operating
systems:  Windows NT, Windows 98, and Linux.  I figured that some of you
might find a use for these or reverse-engineer them for your own sordid
purposes.

Presumptions:
     Windows NT Server is bought in full with the 10-user client license
     pack.  Given that for a situation with, say, nine servers and 30
     clients, you'd be nuts to buy 9 NT Server licenses with 10 client
     licenses each, please consider how improbable an arrangement that
     would be in the first place.  So, consider the rear right corner of
     the graphs involving Windows NT Server as irrelevant.  The other end
     of the chart is much more relevant for IS management purposes.
     For simplicity's sake, costs for distribution media have been
     eliminated.  Believe me, it doesn't matter!

In a few days, I hope to add another chart for OpenVMS.

- Jeff

P.S. if you click on the chart tabs in quick succession, it looks like a
movie of a rug being thrown on the floor.  Cheap entertainment.

P.P.S. In years past. I have done similar charts for Banyan VINES and
Novell NetWare 4.  Because they are/were offered as xxx-user licenses, the
charts took on a scalloped art-deco look.